TAIWANESE FRIED CHICKEN
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups potato starch
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves
- vegetable oil
MIXED PEPPER POWDER:
- 2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp Sichuan pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp 4 spice
- For the mixed pepper powder, use a mortar and pestle to grind the pepper to a fine powder.
- Take 2 tablespoons of the mixed pepper powder and mix it with 1 tbsp of sea salt and the chilli powder. Set the chilli salt aside for later.
- Place the remainder of the mixed pepper powder and place it in a large bowl. Add the rest of the marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Use a rolling pin or meat mallet to pound the chicken breast pieces to an even thickness. Then cut into bite-sized chunks. Add the chicken to the marinade and toss well.
- Fill a pan about 1/3 capacity with the vegetable oil. Heat over high heat.
- Place the eggs into a large bowl and whisk with two tablespoons of water. Coat each chicken piece in the egg and then in the potato starch.
- Shake off the excess starch. Cook the chicken in batches in the hot oil for 3-4 minutes or until cooked through and crispy. Drain on paper towel.
- Add the basil leaves to the hot oil and cook for 1-2 minutes or until crispy. Drain those on paper towel.